Friday, May 11, 2007

"Light of the World"

A lot of my posts here will most likely be the result of thoughts, questions, etc. that have come up while I prepare for my Gospel Doctrine lesson every other week. After all, they’re bound to be more interesting than a record of my daily events. Drying paint is often more exciting than my daily events, but I digress.

A couple of weeks ago, we had the “I am the light of the world” lesson and the manual suggested a class discussion on how light can be symbolic of Christ. It wasn’t until Sunday morning as I was doing my last-minute run through that I thought of something cool (well, in my opinion anyway).

During my Neuro-Psych course at the University of Lethbridge, we talked about something called circadian rhythm. Pretty much every living thing runs on a cycle that resets every day (roughly), hence circa dia (Latin for ‘around a day’). Without external stimulus, the circadian rhythm can be anywhere from 23 – 25 hours. Without getting too in-depth with the concept (there’s a nerve cluster near the vision area of the brain that resets the rhythm), our circadian rhythms are reset by light each day to keep us on a 24-hour clock. Sunlight is the most effective source in balancing our rhythms.

So, one way that light is symbolic of Christ is that He should be our daily source of direction to keep our “spiritual clocks” running at the proper interval. It doesn’t take long to run off track if we’re not being “reset” on a daily basis.

No comments: