Sunday, September 7, 2008

“Why will ye die?”

There were so many things to cover from this week’s lesson, I had to decide between posting 5 pages of material and focusing on one thought. There was one theme that came up a few times during the lesson material (Helaman 6-12), and that was how quickly we tend to forget the Lord.

“For behold, the Lord had blessed them so long with the riches of the world that they had not been stirred up to … wars… therefore they began to set their hearts upon their riches… that they might be lifted up one above another…” (Hel 6:17)

It sounds like they’ve enjoyed the blessings for a long time, doesn’t it. How long was “so long”? Well, verse 1 says the 62nd year of the judges had ended, and things really fell apart in the commencement of the 67th year. For the Nephites, “so long” ended up being three years. For years, I’d read that and think, “those silly Nephites, why can’t they just keep things together?!” I don’t know when it changed for me, but I’ve been trying to think lately when was the last time I’ve been able to keep my act together for three years in a row. I’m pretty sure that my personal record for consecutive individual scripture study stands unbroken at 25 days. That doesn’t leave me with a lot of ground from which to judge the Nephites.

Why is it so hard to do the “small and simple things”? I can sit down and read a novel or even a motivational book for hours at a time, but somehow can’t seem to be consistent with scripture reading.

In Helaman 7, Nephi reproves the people who have gathered around him as he mourns over their wickedness.

“…ye are given away that the devil has got so great hold upon your hearts.” (vs. 15)

Is that why I have such a hard time with consistent daily scripture study? Is my heart not truly in it?

“Yea, how could you have given way to the enticing of him who is seeking to hurl away your souls down to everlasting misery and endless wo?” (vs. 16)

Well, when you put it that way it sounds all warm and fuzzy, doesn’t it?

“O repent ye, repent ye! Why will ye die? Turn ye, turn ye unto the Lord your God…” (vs. 17)

Whatever that is in my heart instead of the desire to study the scriptures, is it worth dieing for?

“O, how could you have forgotten your God in the very day that he has delivered you?” (vs. 20)

How many times in my life have I turned away after receiving blessings from the Lord’s hand? How many days have gone by without seeing me on my knees in gratitude for all I’ve received?

So here’s the plan. I’m going to make a real effort to see how long I can maintain my daily scripture study and personal prayers, starting today. President Ezra Taft Benson said in conference, “God will have a humble people. Either we can choose to be humble or we can be compelled to be humble.” (“Beware of Pride,” Ensign, May 1989, 4)

Personally, I’d rather choose to be humble…

No comments: