Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Jesus Christ, Our Deliverer

I feel very blessed to have had the opportunity this year to study the Book of Mormon as I prepared to teach the lessons. I have many post-it notes in my scriptures with ideas and insights gained as I studied the material each week.

One of the themes that really stood out this year is Christ's role as not only the Savior, but also the Deliverer.

I am a big fan of goal-setting and motivational literature and sometimes fall into the trap of believing that if I put my mind to 'it' and work hard enough, I can get through whatever problems I face. But that doesn't always work. Sometimes in life we find ourselves in situations or face challenges that no amount of positive thinking can resolve on our own.

"...I give unto men weakness that they may be humble; and my grace is sufficient for all men that humble themselves before me; for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them." (Ether 12:27)

Let me illustrate a spiritual principle with a temporal example. Contrast the bondage experiences between the people of King Limhi and the followers of Alma the Elder.

King Limhi was the righteous successor to his wicked father, King Noah. The Lamanites held the people in bondage and imposed a heavy tax on them. Limhi's people tried three times to free themselves with the sword, but were unsuccessful. After their third attempt, "they did humble themselves even to the dust... even in the depths of humility and did cry mightily to God; yea even all the day long did they cry unto their God that he would deliver them out of their afflictions." (Mosiah 21:13-14). The Lord prospered them "by degrees" (Mosiah 21:16) until finally making it possible for them to escape.

Alma the Elder was a priest of King Noah who believed the words of the prophet Abinadi at the risk of his own life. Alma and his group of converts eventually flee into the wilderness after "having been warned of the Lord that the armies of king Noah would come upon them" (Mosiah 23:1). Eventually they find themselves in bondage to the Lamanites as well. Alma and his people immediately turn to the Lord for deliverance and are given the strength to "bear up their burdens with ease" (Mosiah 24:15) until the time they were delivered.

I think it is safe to say that we will all be required to experience hardships and trials that we will be unable to overcome on our own.

As a side-note, I find it curiously interesting how many people blame God for what they feel are unjust circumstances in their lives when everyone will have to experience their own custom-made tests. It would only be unfair if someone were made exempt from the testing process. The actual tests may differ, but I believe the degree and intensity will be the same for all.

Anyhow, we can choose to try finding the way out on our own, as did Limhi's people. We can charge repeatedly against a problem or situation, only to get beaten back repeatedly. Or we can skip that part as did Alma and his followers and move straight to the submissive, willing obedience and rely upon God for strength. Notice, He did not immediately remove the burdens, but gave them strength to bear their trials before eventually delivering them. When we are faced with the trials and tests, can we "submit cheerfully and with patience to all the will of the Lord"? (Mosiah 24:15)

Trials and hardships are inevitable. Jobs will be lost, loved ones will at some point leave this life and sometimes violently or unexpectedly, illnesses and injuries will come and go. We can either "curse God, and die" (Job 2:9), or "look to God and live" (Alma 37:47). One of the recurring themes in the Book of Mormon is that deliverance comes only through willing and faithful submission to Christ.

"...behold I say unto you, that as these things are true, and as the Lord God liveth, there is none other name given under heaven save it be this Jesus Christ, of which I have spoken, whereby man can be saved." (2 Nephi 25:20)

No comments: