Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Thank You For Everything, Sister Holt

I found out this afternoon on facebook that Margaret Holt, my Grade 9 seminary teacher, passed away today. I haven't seen any other details, but I wanted to put down some of my thoughts and feelings.

Thank you for being so willing to teach a bunch of rowdy 14-year-olds at 7:00 AM every day. Your love of the gospel was transparent and infectious. You put up with a lot from us, but I hope you knew how much got actually through. Sure, we did stupid things like dress up the fire extinguisher, and there was the time Malcolm jumped out and almost gave you a heart attack as you came up the stairs one morning. But we also listened and learned and you made it fun. You gave us some of our first real experiences in learning from the scriptures and from the Spirit. You showed us how to study and learn at home and introduced us to real heroes in class. I hope you realized the impact you had on our lives.

It might be a little selfish on my part, but I feel honored to have had the opportunity to have you as part of my class as you came back to visit during the summers after you moved. Even though I was at the front supposedly teaching, I still learned from you as you shared your insights and thoughts. Each time you came to visit, I wanted to thank you for the way you helped shape my life, but I would always freeze and the words never came out. So I guess this is my way of trying to make up for having missed those opportunities.

Thank you for countless hours of preparation and study. Thank you for sharing your testimony with us. Thank you for the love which always came through your lessons. I wish there was a way to repay you.

"Finally, I bid you farewell, until I shall meet you before the pleasing bar of God..." (Jacob 6:13)

No comments: