Monday, March 21, 2011

Not How I Had Pictured It...

Any calling to serve in the Church comes with an eventual release date (with a very few exceptions). I knew my day would come eventually, although I had imagined it quite differently. I figured in about 4-5 years, despite my best efforts to stay under the radar, someone would realize I was still teaching and move me to some other calling. Sure, I'd accept the new position, but on the inside I would still be missing my favorite calling of all time. That's not how it happened...

Last night there was a meeting for the Raymond stake in which all the ward boundaries were revised and the new Raymond 9th ward was created. Speculation has been running rampant for over a year now, but last night it became official. I thought it was rather amusing they chose "I'll Go Where You Want Me To Go" as the opening hymn. The stake went through and released a couple of bishops as well as some other stake callings, so we were all trying to guess where the boundaries would be, based on who was being released. I honestly thought we were safe because they only seemed to be affecting three of the wards. But sadly, we got traded to First ward.

To say we have mixed emotions is somewhat an understatement. Trevor is excited because now his friend and his cousins will all be in the same ward. Rhys is excited because his friend Owen is also in 1st ward (we live two houses away, pretty good odds we were going to be in the same ward). I'm sure 1st ward will be fine, but it's still hard leaving 5th ward.

I'm very grateful to have been given the privilege of teaching Gospel Doctrine for nearly five years. I've had so many great learning experiences and will miss everyone. I take with me all the things they taught me (even though I was supposed to be the teacher). If you've never taught Sunday School, you're missing out on what it's like to see people in the class have "ah-ha!" moments, or to feel guided to take the lesson in a different direction and see it touch someone.

This calling has given me the wonderful opportunity to serve alongside some great men. Two of the most influential:

Brother Terry Tieland, I still remember your Book of Mormon lessons and feeling your testimony as you taught. One of my biggest worries when I was first called was how high you had set the bar.

Bishop Bernie Orr, from being priesthood helpers on Beehive camp, to teaching, to your time as bishop, I've always looked up to you. The hardest part of this whole transition was probably the realization I'm not in your ward any more. I am a better person because of the things I've learned from you.

So, to the 5th ward Gospel Doctrine class, I thank you. I learned far more from you than you did from me.

Now I just wait to see where I get called next. In the meantime, I'll still keep working on the weekly lessons because it's fun for me.

No comments: