Sunday, November 11, 2012

Moroni's Quest: Week 1

Since I'm not teaching any more, I figured this would be a good way to keep me studying on a regular basis. Our stake is doing Moroni's Quest in July and they handed out the reading assignments, so I thought I'd follow along in my book and make notes here of things which impressed me.

Week 1: 1 Nephi 1-7
I wonder how Joseph Smith felt as he translated Lehi's experience in Chapter 1. Lehi described "a pillar of fire" (1 Nephi 1:6) and an incredible vision where he saw Christ and was taught many things only to be mocked later by the people he was trying to save. Truman Madsen indicated some of Joseph's earlier accounts of his First Vision used the word "fire" instead of "light" as well as his amazement that the trees around him did not catch fire.

In Chapter 2, Lehi is commanded to take his family into the wilderness so he leaves everything behind and takes his family on a camping trip. At this point, it doesn't seem like the Lord has told them where they are going or how long they'll be gone. God said, "Go" so Lehi left.

Later in Ch 2, Nephi prays to the Lord and had his heart softened "that I did believe all the words of my father" (1 Nephi 2:16). He doesn't say that was the specific intent of his prayer, but it seems likely. Did Nephi doubt his father? That doesn't seem to fit his character. I think he recognized a need for a spiritual conversion stronger than what he already had. He then prayed on behalf of his stubborn older brothers and the Lord tells him, "...inasmuch as thy brethren shall rebel against thee, they shall be cut off from the presence of the Lord" (1 Nephi 2:21). Notice He didn't say, "if thy brethren shall rebel against thee". Every time Nephi exhorts his brothers to be faithful, remember that he already knows they are going to be cut off.

Chapter 3, Lehi tells the boys to make the 12-14 day trip (around 180 miles) back to Jerusalem to pick up the brass plates from Laban. I've been in the car not two minutes away from my house and not turned back to get something I have forgotten. I can't imagine travelling for 2 weeks one-way to pick something up. If the plates were so important, why couldn't the Lord say, "Don't forget to pick those up on your way out of town"? Nephi would've missed the opportunity to find out how obedient he really was, and Sariah wouldn't have received her witness either.

Chapter 4. Nephi goes out to get the plates, knowing only that God has "prepared a way" to accomplish His commands. How many times in my life have I felt frustrated because I couldn't see how things would end up? Nephi sets the example by doing everything in his power to be obedient and trusting the Lord will pick up the rest.

Nephi finds Laban passed out drunk, then gives us a detailed description of Laban's sword and the metals used to make each piece. Based on this, and Nephi's ability to molten ore and make tools, I think he worked in the trade.

Chapter 5, the boys return with the plates. Mother Sariah has been a little worried because they were taking so long. Lehi & family offer sacrifice and burnt offerings in thanks. Upon receiving the brass plates, Lehi "did search them from the beginning" (1 Nephi 5:10).  There are examples in Church history of those who received the Book of Mormon in a similar spirit. Parley Pratt recorded of his experience:
“I opened it with eagerness, and read its title page. I then read the testimony of several witnesses in relation to the manner of its being found and translated. After this I commenced its contents by course. I read all day; eating was a burden, I had no desire for food; sleep was a burden when the night came, for I preferred reading to sleep. 
“As I read, the spirit of the Lord was upon me, and I knew and comprehended that the book was true, as plainly and manifestly as a man comprehends and knows that he exists” (Autobiography of Parley P. Pratt, 3d ed., Salt Lake City: Deseret Book Co., 1938, pp. 36–37).
I've had the Book of Mormon all my life and I don't think I've ever read it with that much enthusiasm.

Chapter 6, "Wherefore, I shall give commandment unto my seed, that they shall not occupy these plates with things which are not of worth unto the children of men" (1 Nephi 6:6). Everything Nephi and the following writers chose to include is "of worth unto [us]".

Chapter 7, Lehi sends the boys back to town to pick up Ishmael and his family. What would you say to another family to convince them to leave the comforts of home and wander in the wilderness. What would it take for me to drop everything and go?

On the way back, Laman & Lemuel want to go back to Jerusalem. Nephi tries to talk them out of it and they tie him up and leave him to be eaten by wild animals. The interesting part to me is that after they left Nephi, they kept going in the wilderness rather than going back like they said they would. What changed their minds? They had the perfect opportunity to go back, but they didn't. It's also amazing to me that Nephi "did frankly forgive them" (1 Nephi 7:21) after they were sorry and asked to be forgiven. Nephi doesn't seem to be the type to hold a grudge.

So, there's week #1 in a nutshell. I'm happy for the excuse to go through these scriptures again with a very specific reading schedule which makes me slow down and think about what I'm reading. Please feel free to comment on anything which sticks out to you.

Reading for Week 2: 1 Nephi 8-15


No comments: